Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tips while traveling: Lunch

It's hard when you're traveling to make smart decisions and stay on track.  I know.  As someone who has been on the road for half the year already (and it's only June 19), I understand.  I have my weeks where I just don't have the energy or the desire and then fall to the wayside and let my goals slip.  But when I pick myself back up and realize that I still have goals I want to achieve, I just make the decision to get it done.  One of the biggest challenges is when I am at a hotel that has a refrigerator but it barely counts because it's smaller than the suitcase I brought with me. 

So how do I overcome the suitcased size challenge I have?  Think and SHOP SMART!  Make a decision at the beginning of the week as to how you want your week to go.  Do you know that you have a dinner with co-workers one night?  Or do you have an event you're attending such as a wedding or a family reunion?  Think about the week, then make the decision and STICK TO IT.  Usually, I have one dinner a week out with co-workers.  I stick to that.  No more.  I allow myself to eat out once.  That includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  ONCE.

So what do I do the rest of the week?  This is where the SHOP SMART comes into play. 

I found these salads at the local grocery store and started to get creative.


I bought radishes, green onions, broccoli, some almond slices (unflavored), and some pomegranate vinaigrette dressing.




I also bought a large ziploc disposable container:



I dumped the premade salad into the ziploc container, cut up radishes and green onions (with my plastic knife, so that was fun), added the brocoli and the toasted almonds, put a couple tablespoons of salad dressing on, and wa-la!!! 

I turned the salad into this:



You can add turkey pepperoni (like I did) or some chicken for some protein.  You can also add a little mozerella cheese as well.  You can do all kinds of things with a salad and still have some delicious HEALTHY options available to you. 

It takes a lot of work and some thinking, but eating healthy for lunch in a hotel with a small refrigerator can be done if you take the time to think it through and plan out how you are going to succeed!!  I made a HUGE salad that will probably last me two days for under $10.  You can't eat out as healthy or as CHEAP!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment