Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Obstacles on Road

As I am on this weight loss journey, I come across many obstacles.  I do what I do best and try to think of solutions to overcome those obstacles.  One of the BIGGEST obstacles I have right now is the fact that I travel for work.  I counted the other day and I will be on the road 41 weeks this year.  That is 41 weeks of hotels, restaraunts and being away from my husband and Sara (the puppy) and 41 weeks of increased challenges.

With traveling, what is the big deal?  I get that question all the time.  People see that my life as glamorous.  I fly on airplanes and stay in nice hotels.  I admit, I do stay in some nice hotels.  My work is not stingy, BUT it comes at a cost.  That cost is FOOD CHOICES. I do NOT enjoy eating at a restaraunt every single night.  It greatly increases my chances of slipping away from my journey to becoming healthier.  I have found that I can make small changes to help with those challenges.

In most hotels I do no have access to a stove and I NEVER have access to an oven.  My tools are typically microwaves, mini fridges, and the grocery store.  As I have become more nutritionally aware, I have also limited my choices even more .  Sometimes it doesn't seem worth the energy it takes to really think about what I want to do that week.  It takes a TON of energy that I need for training 8 to 12 hours a day.  So how do I do it?  How have I managed to become more nutritionally aware and make it in the traveling world?  I've done it!  I've lost 16 pounds in the last few months so that proves it can be done.  Because I've also ONLY lost 16 pounds, it proves it is a challenge. 

I start by taking some time on the Sunday before I travel to plan my week.  I usually travel Monday's and Friday's.  I begin by calling the hotel where I am staying.  If it's a Homewood Suites or Residence Inn, I am good.  I have access to a stove.  Other hotels...  not so much.  I am lucky if I have a mini fridge and a microwave. 

I ALWAYS travel with:
Shakeology- packets or powder measured out into containers
PB2- This stuff ROCKS!!
Travel Blender
Measuring Cup
Measuring Spoons
Lunch Bag (insulated)
Freezer box (to keep the cold items cold)
Water bottles

Then, when I know my tools, I find out where the nearest grocery store is.  And I do the grocery shopping!! 

The staples include:
Almond Milk (or Coconut Milk, depending on my mood)
Greek Yogurt (several small cups- makes it easy to stick in my cooler)
Gallon of Water
Small tomatoes, Spinach, Feta Cheese, Cranberries (for a salad)
Bananas
1 or 2 microwave meals (Healthy Choice)**
1 Can of soup (I can only do about 1 can of soup a week- I don't really enjoy it, but it's easy in a hotel room)

**I do NOT advocate that Healthy Choice microwave meals are the best choice, but when I am limited, that's my go to.

If I am in a hotel room with a stove, the possibilities open up even further.  Chicken and Pork Chops are my favorite items to cook in a hotel room because they are easy and cook up semi decent in a pan on the stove.  Just add some BBQ Sauce or seasonings and you're on your way to a delicious meal. 

WORKING OUT is the KEY when I am on the road!!  If I do not work out, and there are times I have to eat out, I feel so awful the next day and everything goes to waste for a day or so.  Working out helps keep my energy levels HIGH and my sanity levels normal (of course, that's subjective, right?).  We will discuss more of this in a later post down the road.

I bring a portable DVD player with me and my workout DVD's (currently working my way through 90 days of Chalean Extreme) and my resistence band (which gives me just as much of a workout as if I had used weights).  I schedule my time to workout (usually after training because I have to be there so early to begin with), and when I am done, then I continue with the dinner routine.

So...  what does my typical day look like, you ask?

Breakfast is a no brainer------ easiest meal of the day:

SHAKEOLOGY!!!!!

Lunch is a little more challenging.  Usually it consists of a frozen meal (Healthy Choice) or some greek yogurt, fruit (apples, bananas, and mango are a favorite), string cheese, and some veggies (snap peas or carrots). 

Dinner is either out with co workers twice a week (I try to limit it to once or twice a week) and typically have a salad with viniagarette dressing, no cheese, no croutons, and ALL veggies.  If I don't go out, it's a microwave meal if I didn't have one for lunch, or oftentimes another Shakeology. 

I will dig a bit deeper as the weeks go on and I start to overcome more challenges.  I wanted to share with my fellow travelers (vacation, work, whatever) how it can be done.  It's challenging, FOR SURE, but it's possible to eat healthy while on the road!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment