Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Dried Fruit- Sulfites

Dried fruit can be pricey in the grocery store and sometimes loaded with extra sugar and additives that you don't need to be giving your body.  A lot of dried fruit has sulfites in it, which is a preservative that can cause allergies and other concerns with different bodily systems, such as dermatological, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, and cardiovascular problems.  People with asthma are intolerant to sulfites.  (I used this article as my source of information...  other good information included if you are interested in further reading.)

Instead of ingesting sulfites in your dried fruit, try making them at home!!!!   

I found this excellent way to make dried banana chips!!!  I absolutely love anything banana! 



Heat oven to 200 degrees. Slice bananas into thin chips and drizzle with lemon juice. Place on greased baking sheet and bake for 2 hours, turn and bake an additional 1.5 hours. As the chips cool they will firm up into a crisp chip! 

Great to snack on their own, added to trail mixes, or used as toppings in oatmeal or cereal.

I will be trying this banana recipe VERY soon!!!

This article gives a great step by step process on how to effectively dry whatever fruit you want.  Leave a comment here if you've given this a try!!  I'll update you when I've had a chance to give it a try.




No comments:

Post a Comment