Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Little Lies= Little Results

I read an article recently that really hit home for me.  I used to (and still at times) tell myself these little lies that result in well, no results or a lack of positive results. 

One of the biggest things I tell myself is that "I don't eat that much."  This is the biggest lie you can tell yourself.  You  may eat all healthy foods, but if you are supposed to eat 1700 calories, going over that can still add weight, even if it's healthy fruits and veggies.  The best way I have found that helps me control how much I am eating is to keep a journal.  I use My Fitness Pal, a website that includes a database with all kinds of food you can track.  There is also a mobile app you can use so you're always in touch with your food diary.  The other way I keep track of what I'm eating is to text pictures of what I'm eating to a good friend.  There is no judgement but if I am eating something not so great, she will call me out on it. 

The next excuse I have told myself is "I train really hard on my own."  Well, sure, we tell ourselves that.  I used to work out at a gym and I would go for 30 minutes and do something on the elliptical and throw around a couple of weights and call it a day.  I would think I was working really hard.  Then I learned the meaning of a true work out and I no longer believe that I used to train really hard on my own.  I follow a workout program on DVD now (I've done Chalean Extreme and am working through Turbo Fire now) and every now and then I still find that I could amp up the intensity level.  Working out to a DVD helps, but it still isn't perfect.  Try to find people who can keep you accountable.

Another excuse we tell ourselves is that "We don't party that often."  Well, what is your definition of "that often?" And what is your definition of "party" even?  I looked at the calendar and every single month I have something going on.  Whether it's April and I have Easter and my anniversary or November and I have my birthday and Thanksgiving, something is going on every single month.  Even August (end of summer) and January (beginning of the year) have something going on.  So, whether it's a small gathering for a neighborhood block party, or a large wedding reception, you still have a party where food and drinks are served.  Watch what you eat and drink.  Consuming a lot of empty calories in a beer or wine glass will be a detriment to your weight loss.  Excessive partying can also lead to lack of sleep, which is not good for weight loss and energy levels.  Try to control the amount of parties you attend or at least what you consume.

"I don't have the time or money to get in shape."  I do not even know how to begin to address this.  I wrote a blog (found here) about the most common excuse (lack of money) for losing weight.  See how I address that in that article.  As far as a lack of time for working out, I will address that in another blog but honestly, there is NO EXCUSE.  You have 24 hours in a day.  If you sleep for 8 of them, and work for 8 or 10, that still leaves you with 6 to 8 hours of YOU time.  Yes, you may have the kids to take to soccer practice, or a meeting at church.  But honestly, what do you do with your time at the end of the day?  How many hours of TV do you watch?  How many shows are in your DVR right now waiting to be watched????  You can take an hour (or even a half hour) a day to work out.  I do not want to hear that excuse.  Beachbody even offer a 10-minute trainer workout where you can do one 10-minute workout or string a couple together to do a 20 or 30 minute workout!!!  There is NO EXCUSE!!!!  I'll address it in a blog later this month a bit more in depth.

I laughed when I read this excuse: "It's not MY fault I can't lose weight."  Really?  Who makes the decisions on what you eat or how you exercise?  Who twists your arm with the donut in it?  Who whips out the debit card for that venti chocolate mocha with extra whip?  This is not an excuse I have ever really used.  Even the fact that I am adopted and do not know my medical history does not negate the fact that my weight is my responsibility!!  I know there are some medical conditions that make it difficult to lose weight, but you still have choices. 

Excuses are well...  excuses.  They do not get the work done...  If you are truly considering a life change, stop making excuses.  That is the first thing you can do.  I know this seems harsh but I have been there, with every single excuse in the book.  Trust me, it will get you nowhere!  Excuses- throw them OUT THE WINDOW!!!  When you've done that and fully come to grips with the fact that losing weight and getting healthy will be a good thinig for you, you will feel free and better!!!!!!

1 comment: